|EMPLOYERS: YOU LOSE A LOT WHEN YOUR EMPLOYEES DON'T BUCKLE UP!|
Tips for employers to increase seat belt use among their employees:
- Traffic crashes kill your workers!
- Traffic crashes are a leading cause of worker deaths and a significant cause of work-related disabilities. (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- The most dangerous part of the workday for your employees is the time they spend in their vehicles including their travel to and from work. (NETS - Network of Employers for Traffic Safety)
- Traffic crashes cost your company in time and money.
- Motor-vehicle crashes are the most costly workers' compensation claims by cause of injury. (National Council on Compensation Insurance)
- A single traffic crash can cost your company $29,000 in insurance costs, lost production and workers compensation costs. (NETS)
- Getting your employees to buckle up saves employee lives — and your company's money.
- Seat belt use reduces the risk of serious injury and death by 40-60%. (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- When Minnesota crash victims are unbuckled, their medical bills are 50% higher than those who are securely buckled.
- Buckling up protects your company's future!
- An American Academy of Pediatrics study found that when a driver was wearing a seat belt, children in the vehicle were buckled nearly 90% of the time. But when adults weren't wearing seat belts, the children were restrained only 25% of the time. These kids are our future employees!
- Implement and enforce strong policies requiring employees to wear seat belts while driving on company business.
- Post "Buckle Up" signs at exits from your company's parking areas.
- Tell your employees often through company communication channels that your organization is committed to getting them to buckle up.
- Sponsor education and incentive programs to encourage buckling up.
- Encourage employees to get their families to buckle up too.
- Promote awareness of Minnesota's seat belt law, which requires everybody in the vehicle to buckle up.